Identity Theft

6 Ways to Clear Your Name
It can take months to repair the work of an identity thief. Here's where to start:
  1. File a report with your local police department.
  2. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at 877-382-4357.
  3. Get reports from the major credit bureaus, Equifax (888-766-0008), Experian (888-397-3742) and TransUnion (800-680-7289), and request a fraud alert on your credit file. If you find accounts that don't belong to you contact the creditor directly. Also contact all creditors who have made non-promotional inquiries into your credit file. Send all letters certified mail, return receipt requested.
  4. Contact the fraud departments at the banks, credit card companies, and investment firms that you have accounts with. Ask them to require a PIN or password for all transactions or changes to your accounts. Do not use your mother's maiden name or the last 4 numbers of your social security number as your passwords. You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report from each credit bureau once a year.
  5. Get additional help on how to clear your name from the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse and Identity Theft Resource Center
  6. Click here for additional resources from the Consumer Affairs Dept